Position: Statewide Health Care Coalition Community Outreach Manager
Organization: Virginia Consumer Voices for Healthcare
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Virginia Consumer Voices for Healthcare (VCV) is Virginia’s new, multi-constituency consumer
coalition focused on ensuring that all Virginians have access to affordable, high-quality health
care. VCV works to build and sustain a broad-based consumer coalition which includes patients,
community and religious organizations, small businesses, organized labor, community health
centers, and advocacy organizations to support effective implementation of the Affordable Care
Act in Virginia. Virginia Consumer Voices’ goal is to become the state’s leading consumer
coalition working year round to impact policy by organizing and coordinating the grassroots,
growing a dynamic and effective coalition, educating key affected communities, and running
public relations and media campaigns.
Organize Statewide Outreach
• Develop, coordinate and execute outreach activities in key communities of interest
throughout the state, with particular emphasis on underserved communities.
• Organize grassroots activities including town hall forums, focus groups, lobby days, and
• Educate and prepare health care consumers to participate in activities that expand access to
• Maintain regular contact with grassroots leaders across the state.
• Help Identify organizations within underserved communities to receive support to carry out
additional grassroots outreach and organizing.
Assist with Policymaker Outreach
Engage state policy makers by inviting them to participate in outreach activities.
• Join Coalition partners and the Coalition Director in visits with key policy makers.
Help with Communications Efforts
• Work with Coalition Director and Leadership Team to develop necessary materials.
• Implement messaging and media strategies to engage consumers and amplify consumer
voices in the health care policy debate. Activities include:
o Manage the organizations social media outreach to grow Facebook and Twitter
o Run Facebook and Google ads to increase social media activity.
o Assist in updating and maintaining VCV’s website.
o Assist in creating and disseminating e-outreach updates to coalition partners and
o Help organize Letter-to-the-Editor campaigns among consumers.
o Help organize press events.
o Help organize radio feature stories.
o Assist in communicating and increasing interest in coalition activities with state and
local media outlets.
o Assist in collecting human stories of Virginians helped by the ACA and disseminating
to state and local media.
o Develop a plan to produce and disseminate videos (YouTube) to tell health care
o Help incorporate paid advertising such as billboards, radio/tv/print ads, bus posters,
etc. in key communities.
The Community Outreach Manager will report to the Coalition Director and work with
members of the VCV Leadership Team to ensure effective implementation of coalition efforts.
This is an exciting position for an individual with a passion for social change and an interest in
ensuring the voice of consumers is central in the health care debate in Virginia. The successful
candidate will possess a high level of energy to work with consumers across the state, have the
ability to motivate diverse groups of people to take action, be able to travel throughout the
state, and have excellent interpersonal skills. In addition, the ideal candidate will be able to work
independently, be highly motivated and maintain regular communications with the Coalition
Director and be accountable for all activities.
Qualified candidates must have:
• A Bachelor’s degree in a related field and experience in grassroots leadership
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong understanding of and experience with social media.
• The ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work
• Excellent personal accountability and follow through.
• Passion for social, racial and economic justice and progressive political change.
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of the provisions of the Affordable Care Act.
Salary range is mid to upper $30’s depending on experience. The position comes with full
health and dental benefits, a retirement plan and paid vacation.
Virginia Consumer Voices for Healthcare is housed within the Virginia Interfaith Center for
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to
email@example.com by May 21, 2012.