Dear NAEPP Coordinating Committee and School Subcommittee,
I wanted to let you know that CDC will be releasing a Vital Signs focused on asthma this Tuesday, May 3rd (also World Asthma Day).
CDC Vital Signs offers recent data and calls to action for important public health issues (http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/). This program is a call to action each month concerning a single, important public health topic. CDC believes that by focusing on a single topic using multiple media devices, the states might better identify these health problems in their area and work towards their improvement.
Here’s what CDC will do:
1. Hold a media teleconference at noon on May 3;
2. Release an asthma MMWR Early Release May 3;
3. Publish a professionally designed Fact Sheet for consumer audiences, a dedicated website that mirrors the Fact Sheet on the topic;
4. Issue a media release;
5. Send out a series of announcements via social media tools (Twitter,Facebook, etc.);
6. Send out a Capitol Hill alert through CDC-Washington Office.
I’d like to invite you to join us in sharing the asthma Vital Signs on May 3 by:
1. Spotlighting the Asthma Vital Signs on your organization’s website, with a link to CDC’s Vital Signs page: http://www.cdc.gov/VitalSigns/
2. Announcing to your membership through newsletters, listservs, e-bulletins, etc.
3. Using your organization’s social media tools.
4. Sharing the MMWR, fact sheet and press release with your organization’s media/public affairs team.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Thank you all for your help!
Paul Garbe, DVM, MPH
Chief, Air Pollution and Respiratory Health Branch
National Center for Environmental Health